Andrew Robinson has vowed there’s plenty of life left in ‘D’Animal’ as he plots another path towards major honours.
Going again is the order of business at the H Suite in Edgbaston, Birmingham, this weekend during a double-header of shows staged by BCB Promotions, with Robinson up on Saturday.
He engages in pro action for the 31st time, with plenty of memorable skirmishes encompassing the previous 30 bouts of a nine-year paid career.
His last contest was for the British middleweight title, where the world-rated Liam Williams dashed his hopes with an evil body attack, after all of 88 seconds.
Robinson is coming back fighting, though, with the British crown now in the possession of Felix Cash, after Williams relinquished his standing for a world title shot.
Cash lifted the belt after beating Denzel Bentley, who was days away from a subsequent clash with Robinson which fell by the wayside.
That’s one of many matches that Robinson has seen come and go this year, during a 2021 which has yet to see him step through the ropes.
The game and aggressive 37-year-old veteran, who is from Redditch, will be made up just to lace on the gloves again, with new faces in his corner.
After parting company with previous coach Malcolm Melvin, Robinson has joined up with Anthony Hull and Vincent Guy at the D&A Boxing gym in Birmingham.
He now looks to put a fresh lick of paint on his pro exploits, which has seen him become the Midlands champion and challenge for five other titles.
Robinson insists there are more thrills and spills to come, starting with a first appearance in Birmingham since defeating Nicky Jenman for the IBO Continental bauble in 2018.
The Jenman victory was one of his career highlights, along with a points win in Poland 14 months later over Damian Jonak, who was unbeaten in 42 pro outings.
Robinson said: “I’ve trained all year, in the gym every day, for fights that haven’t happened. I’ve been in camp for every one of them, so I’m desperate to get in there.
“A rematch with (Damian) Jonak has been called off three times now. First, in April, it was because of the travel restrictions then we went for June, but he got Covid.
“We got another date for September, but there was an issue with the TV company broadcasting the fight. It might never happen again.
“I’m a man of my word, I said I’d go over there and fight him again. I’ve held up my side of the bargain, so maybe his people are saving him for something else.
“I got the chance to fight Denzel Bentley, I took it but the whole show got called off (due to an injury to Sonny Edwards in the main event). I haven’t heard anything about it since.
“I’d smash Bentley to bits by taking it to him, or he’d box my head off otherwise. It would be man against boy, just like it was for him against Felix Cash (stopped Bentley in the third).
“I would love to go in with Felix, that’s a great fight for me and he’s got what I want, the British title. I’ve had one shot and I won’t give up until I get another.
“I got caught by a good body shot from a big puncher early on, so fair play but the people who know me can appreciate that I wasn’t myself last night.
“It wasn’t a loss, it was a lesson. I’ve come back from defeats before and I will again. I just get back up and keep coming forward.
“I’ve changed my team since then and I feel like I’m better than I’ve ever been. I believe I’m still one of the top middleweights in the country.
“I want to leave a legacy as an exciting, ferocious fighter and I’m ready to go again. I’m going to show everyone what I’m still capable of.”
Tickets for the two Birmingham bills are still available, priced at £40 standard or £75 VIP ringside with buffet per day, directly from the boxers or by visiting myfighttickets.com.